On Sep.19, Mozilla Japan announced the start of the Mozilla Bus (MozBus) project under Mozilla Factory with mentors from corporations and organizations from various fields.
The objectives for the project are as follows:
- Deliver the Web to all people (any time, anywhere, in any circumstances)
- Research the use of the Web as a component of disaster prevention infrastructure
- In the case of a disaster, using its on-board network
- This will be expanded into an Asia-wide disaster prevention project infrastructure, MozBus can become a network and information hub
- Conduct roving workshops
- Teach the Web using Webmaker
- Conduct Web and fabrication (laser cutters etc.) workshops
- Produce materials for teaching IT skills
- Explore new possibilities for using, experiencing and building the Web
In order to achieve the above objectives, together with corporations and organizations from various fields, we launched the MozBus project to perform research and conduct the above activities.
So that the bus can always be used regardless of location or circumstances, it is equipped with a generator, networking facilities, computers, and other necessary equipment. Furthermore, we have reduced the requirements needed to run Webmaker and other Web and fabrication workshops down to a bare minimum.
Along with conducting the roving workshops, we also expect to perform various research activities and experiments as open projects.
The results of such projects will be shared openly in a manner that allows them to be re-used.
In order to maintain fairness and openness, these projects will be conducted under the umbrella of Mozilla Factory.
The costs and equipment required for management and research will be covered using support from corporations who sponsor and participate in the projects.
Already, university organizations as well as research institutions and corporations have begun to participate in MozBus including the following (as of September 19, 2013):
- Keio University SFC
- OpenStreetMap Foundation Japan
- The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
- Cisco Systems
The design of the MozBus was created by the Mozilla Factory community.
We hope, through MozBus, to provide opportunities for everyone to experience and understand the Web, and to explore new possibilities for the shape of the Web to come!